The leagues run monthly with the top two being promoted and the bottom two relegated at the end of the month.
However, there are always people coming back into the leagues after an absence and also people dropping out. Below are general guidelines that are followed when this happens:
- Anyone who has not played a game during the month will be dropped from the league at the end of the month, or sooner if the league secretary has been informed.
- At the end of the month everyone already in the leagues, and who played that month, are ranked according to the month end positions, and the 2 up 2 down rule applied. This is done automatically by Squashlevels.
- Anyone who is injured and has informed the league secretary they cannot play the following month is dropped.
- Anyone returning from absence (for what ever reason) will be slotted in approximately to their ability. This is not necessarily into the league they had previously been playing in. It could be higher or lower. Please let the league secretary know when you are returning to the leagues.
- Any new members will be slotted in approximately in the league they requested/Pete advised.
- The leagues are then generated. Generally they will be filled to 6 people but occasionally they will be increased to 7.
- Latecomers for a month can be added to an existing league during the first week of the league.
- Duration of leagues are generally monthly, but will always be a minimum of 5 weeks.
- The December leagues will be stretched over January, due to holiday period.
This approach generally works well, but when there are large number of people joining or returning it means that additional leagues need to be added, and players are inserted in higher leagues. Therefore players in lower leagues may see themselves dropping down a division when they expected to be promoted. This is unfortunately unavoidable. But you are still ranked higher than previous months opponents and will still generally be in a higher league than them.
Please make every attempt to play your matches in the month
Where a player offers you a court then please respond in a timely manner with a yes or no so that they have sufficient time to cancel the court.
if you have committed to play and then are unable to do so for whatever reason, please let your opponent know asap so they can cancel the court.
If you are injured then let the League Secretary know as soon as possible and they will update the web site to mark you as injured.
When a player is injured and has informed the league secretary then a line will appear through their name on squashlevels. Their existing scores for that month will still count. Other players will therefore need to mark up a walk over in order to get the bonus for playing all matches.
Where you and an opponent are unable to get a game in, it is up to the two of you to come to mutual agreement over who gets a walkover result or whether you agree no result is entered. A league is at least 5 weeks long so please start arranging fixtures and discussions early rather than leaving to the end of the month.